A Unique Photographic Tour of California’s Largest (Dying) Lake.
Join us on this photography workshop to one of the most dramatic and unusual places in California!
The Salton Sea was formed by accident in the early 1900s in an engineering mishap during irrigation of the Imperial Valley. In its glory days, it was a hotbed for sports fishing, a recreational area boasting more visitors than Yosemite, and an important wetland for migratory birds. Currently, it is known as a dying wasteland – the sea is lined with dead fish and is shrinking fast. Its decaying ruins, plentiful birdlife, intriguing off-the-grid culture, and gorgeous light have drawn in photographers from all over the state despite its lack of maintenance. In this workshop, you will explore the east shores and discover inspiring art sites like Salvation Mountain and East Jesus sculpture garden, as well as spend time capturing beautiful natural landscapes and seascapes along the southeast shores of the Salton Sea.
Please note that the Salton Sea is constantly changing, especially as the COVID-19 pandemic surges on. Some of the iconic structures that have been popular to photograph are rapidly disappearing and closing – but new great photo locations are revealing themselves as well!
This photographic tour will be an all-day adventure exploring the unique stops along the Salton Sea. We suggest staying the night in Borrego Springs on Friday and Saturday night to make the most out of your trip!
- We will convene at Borrego Springs Resort and Spa, located at 1112 Tilting T Dr, Borrego Springs, CA 92004
- Book your room directly for Friday and/or Saturday nights, March 26-27, 2021 at: Borrego Springs Resort to take advantage of a discounted rate of $179 for a King room or $189 for a Two Queen room until March 12, 2021.
- Using the “CA Center for Digital Arts” group rate, you can also phone the hotel directly to make your reservation at (760) 767-5700.
- Meet-and-Greet / Dinner / Optional Evening Shoot
We will meet at 9 AM in the hotel lobby at Borrego Springs Resort and Spa.
- North Shore Marina
- Bombay Beach
- Salvation Mountain/Slab City/East Jesus (if accessible)
- Red Rock Marina – Sunset at 4:40 PM
- Three Trees – Dusk at 5:30 PM
- The tour will conclude with a group dinner in Brawley. We will return to the hotel between 10 PM – 12 AM on Saturday night.
For those that would like to catch the sun rising over the decaying landscape of the Salton Sea, we will meet at 5 AM in the hotel lobby.
Sunrise is at 6:15 AM and we are expected to return back to the hotel around 8-9 AM.
- Wildlife Photography
- Landscape Photography
- Visual Storytelling
- Memory Card(s)
- Wide Lens (between 12mm – 24mm)
- Long Lens (100mm+)
- Sturdy Tripod
- Closed-Toed Shoes
- Basic Camera Operation Knowledge
- Open to all levels of Photographers
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time
David LaNeve, CPP